September 15, 2019
We all wonder what the New Year will bring. One thing it always brings is resolutions. So here’s a thought for the day. I am going to remind you of the most important ingredient in turning resolutions into results. Just one small word –
‘Motivation is what gets us started. Habit is what keeps us going,’ Jim Rohn said.
A few simple guidelines before starting out can help to establish habit.
· Take up an activity you like.
· Organise your time. Work out the best time to make success more likely. For example you may find if you go for your walk or gym visit straight after work it is more likely to happen consistently. It can be hard to rise again from the couch and head out on a winter’s night.
· Be realistic. John Clear in his book ‘Atomic Habits’ says tiny changes can bring big results. He recommends aiming to become 1% better each day. People come to me with foot problems wondering what has gone wrong. Why the foot pain?Then they tell me they have started running for the first time in ten years.Great; the problem is their target is too ambitious.
· Don’t be intimidated by how far someone else has advanced. Everyone’s journey started with a single step.
· Get help. Perhaps a couple of sessions with a personal trainer. Involve a buddy or join a group with similar goals.
· Keep it simple. It only takes a good pair of shoes to go walking or running.
· Don’t be too rigid. The time taken to form a habit can vary. There is little truth in the ‘it takes 21 days to form a habit’mantra. In truth it could take two months or more.
· John Irving said, ‘habits are worth being fanatical about.’ But don’t give up because one session didn’t happen. Research on habit formation has shown that missing out on your routine now and again will not affect the long term formation of habit. But do get back on track quickly.
Sometimes you need to take a step back on the track, to moveforward. Consider booking a session with myself for foot mobilisations, foot massage and some specific exercises prescribed for your hard working limbs.